St. Michael’s Parish Church
The St. Michael's Parish Church,
is an example of the "Clwydian"
type of architecture. It has no definitely apportioned aisles and chancel, but two adjacent parallel naves. Many churches
in the Vale of Clwyd are of this type. There has probably been a religious building on the site since the Roman era, but the
present structure dates from the close of the 13th century, although there have been many additions and modifications over
Nave and Chancel
the view from the west door gives an impression of strength and dignity. Wall
monuments include two 18th century and one 19th century gravestones, a brass tablet to the memory of Pte. Spry, killed in
South Africa in 1901, and a brass war memorial to "those who fell for King and Country, 1914-1918." There is also
a memorial to those killed in the 1939-45 war, together with a monument to Rev. Thos. Lewis, a curate at Caerwys (died Oct.
30, 1757, aged 47) and another to Thos. Mostyn (died 10th July, 1751, aged 59). A remembrance book is on display, and contains mementoes of Caerwys
men who gave their lives in the service of their country. An interesting list of past clergy is on display near the vestry.
Please click on the above photograph
you will be re-directed to the official web site of St. Michael’s Church
Contact Details and
Services information for St. Michael's Church
Venerable John Lomas
Rector of Caerwys and Bodfari
( Archdeacon of St. Asaph )
Rector of Caerwys and Bodfari
The Venerable John Lomas ( Archdeacon of St. Asaph )
Tel: 01352 720092
The Reverend Vera Lewis
Mr David Bentley
Tel; 01352 721055
Mr. Roland Ward
Details of Services at
St. Michael’s Church
11.00am - Morning Worship on the 1st Sunday of the month
11.00am - Holy
Eucharist on the 2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th Sundays’ of the month
Five-light window depicting
a comprehensive scene of the Crucifixion
St. Michael's Altar dated from the 17th century together
with The Reredos ( ornamental screen at the back of the altar )
Above the altar is a five-light window depicting a comprehensive
scene of the Crucifixion. Tracery lights contain angels holding instruments of the Passion and three representing faith, hope
and love. It was unveiled in 1928 in memory of A E Lewis, cousin of the late Sir J H Lewis, M P of Penucha.
The Reredos (ornamental screen at
the back of the altar) was given by the Rev. J Sinnett-Jones in memory of his two sons and son-law, all killed in the Great
War. It is of carved oak and depicts St Paul, Melchizedek and St. John.
The panelling around the church, and the pulpit, date from the 17th century, and consist of wood recycled
from old pews. The oak credence table was given to the church in 1928 in memory of the Rev. Thos. Lloyd Bell, a native of
Caerwys who ministered in Aberdeen.
The North Nave
there are two wall monuments in this nave,
one to Rev. John Lloyd (Rector) and another dated 1702. Facing the organ are two large 18th century stone tablets bearing
the ten commandments. On the North Wall, facing the Chancel is a 17th century picture of the Royal Coat of Arms.
The Font dates from 1661
and the adjacent stone panelling
is also 17th century. The organ and font cover were erected by public subscription in 1910.The beams above this nave are particularly
well preserved and a good example of workmanship from the early perpendicular period
The North East window
consisting of five lights and representing the Ascension of Our Lord, was given in 1924 in memory of Alfred
Evans and Thos Jones, both of Caerwys. The two other windows in the North Nave comprise a stained glass window representing
the Nunc Dimittis, erected in 1920, and a venerable plain glass window dating from the time when plain glass was the norm
in churches and cathedrals.
St. Michael's Church Tower
The tower, as far as the ridge below
the clock is 13th century work, although it is possible that the base of the structure contains stones from a much earlier
building. The bell chamber was added during the latter half of the 17th century and house four bells, three comparatively
new, but the fourth is a 700 year old "Sanctus Bell" bearing the inscription "Tradis Campenani" (Thou
Teachest, O Little Bell).There is a sanctuary ring
in the tower door, one of only two in Wales.
In the belfry is a box of bibles, each one bearing the following note:- "This book belongs to Caerwys
Church, John Lloyd, Rector, 1792. Printed by his Majesty's special command."The clock in the tower was installed, as a result of public subscription, in 1915. It commemorates Bishop
Rowland Ellis, 1840 - 1911, who was born in Caerwys.
St. Michael's Porch was erected in 1904,
in memory of Thomas and Mary Evans, of the Royal Oak, Caerwys. Funding was provided by their daughter Mary Billington, son
Alfred and grandson Thomas Jones.
Plaque to Commemorate the building of St. Michael’s
Porch in 1904
There are two fine 13th century lych
gates ( Main lych gate to Church pictured ) and a sundial dating from 1608. Doors from the churchyard give access to
The Rectory and the old school (now a private dwelling). A new voluntarily aided church school in Lon yr Ysgol, opposite the
church, opened in 1983.
Records and Artefacts
There is a substantial collection of pictures
and photographs relating to the history of the church and its incumbents. Church registers date from 1675. Sacred vessels
date from the early 18th century. All these can be viewed by arrangement with the Rector
of all denominations are welcome to attend all services and share in the fellowship of St Michael's Church - here