The Caerwys Coat of Arms consists
of a shield divided horizontally with the representation of Caerwys
Cross in the upper portion and a dragon rampant in the lower. The arguments put forward to the College of Arms to justify
this unusual design,
were that the Cross was recorded in history and that the Bards composed
their odes in the shadow of the ash tree at the Caerwys Eisteddfod of 1568 - which was held under the commission
of Queen Elizabeth 1, dated October 1567. The dragon was significant of Caerwys, as the only Welsh Borough of Norman
creation in 1290. The crest surmounting the shield has a representation of the Mostyn harp ( of the 1568 Eisteddfod ) rising
out of a bardic crown. Such terms as ‘ bardic crown ’ are unknown in heraldry, which led to long correspondence
and many discussions about the drafting of the official blazon. The final draft accepted for the Letters Patent, are as follows;
“ Or, a Dragon rampant
and on a Chief Gules a representation of the Ash Tree called Caerwys Cross proper. And for
the Crest, on a Wreath of the Colours, out of an ancient Crown Or, a representation
of the Caerwys Eisteddfod Harp, Argent ”
The motto on the bottom of the Crest is ‘ Tannau Arian - Geiriau Arian, meaning Silver Strings
( Inspire ) Silver Words.
The Letters Patent
in respect of the new Coat of Arms were presented to the Town, on the same day that the Cross was re-erected in the Town Square.
The Earl of Plymouth, hereditary Lord of the Manor of Caerwys, planted a tree to replace the trees which had from time immemorial
been in Caerwys.
|The original Mayor's Chain of Office
|Updated Mayor's Chain
The Mayor's Chain of Office. When the new Caerwys Town Council was formed under the
local government reorganisation in 1974, the first Mayor was appointed. A short while after a small group of local residents
formed a Committee and named themselves - The Mayor’s Chain Committee. This group of people pledged that
before the end of the present Mayor’s term of office, they would raise enough money to purchase a suitable Chain and
Badge of Office. True to their words and in a matter of months in 1974, over £700.00 was raised and a local silversmith
Kathleen Makinson, was commissioned to design and make the Badge and Chain. The badge and chain which are made from hallmark
silver, is now priceless in terms to the Town of Caerwys and is envied by other Councils and Communities. The Badge
and Chain was completed in 1975 and was dedicated to the Town in a Civic Service, held in St. Michael’s Parish Church
on the 7th December. A second chain link and safety chain has been added on in recent years.